Wednesday, January 21, 2009

The Job of the Pastor - Part 2

In my last post, I asked you to describe the job of a pastor in one word. I shared a few popular options and the reasons I cannot accept them. The rejected options were: chaplain, teacher, counselor, shepherd and CEO. There are two basic problems with these options: first, they often view faith as purely an individualistic affair; second, they often lead to consumer-minded, self-centered spirituality.
Before I go on, I need to make a couple of disclaimers. In our culture, we need chaplains, counselors, teachers and CEO’s. Second, every pastor will occasionally teach, counsel, strategize and meet the needs of individuals. What I am suggesting is that none of these is sufficient to serve as the primary, over-arching picture of my job as pastor.
After thinking through the options, readings lots of books, and serving a local church for five years, I have found an image that fits. It fits our church, our community, my personality and my spiritual gifts. It encourages our members to be faithful to God’s plans for them. I believe the best way I can view my job as pastor is to be . . . coach.
First of all, a coach is an employee, not an owner of the team. In the world of professional athletics, the coach is hired by the owner to lead a team to win games - for the benefit of the owner. I am constantly faced with the temptation to believe that New Vision is my church. When things go well, I am tempted to take the credit and glory for myself. This first fact is a reminder to me that I, as pastor, am only here because God, the owner, has called me to this place for this time. This sobering reality also frees me from much worry. You see, if I am not the owner, then the ultimate survival of the church does not rest on my shoulders. I must be faithful to the owner, but in the end, the team is his responsibility.
Second, a good coach gets personal with every player, spending time with them, encouraging them, teaching them, holding them accountable, and giving them opportunities to play. Likewise, a good pastor will get to know his members by name, pray for them, counsel them, encourage them, and spend time with them in ministry and in recreation. A good pastor is never aloof and impersonal.
Third, and connected to the last point, a coach must not exhaust himself by trying to meet the whims and wishes of each player. In other words, the comfort and happiness of each player is not the first goal for the coach. The coach must lead the team. Did you know that church is a team sport? As a pastor, I must not allow the desires of a few individuals to control the church. As your pastor, I make decisions based on what is in the best interest of God, then of the team, then of the individual members. I try hard to make sure that my decisions are especially not based on my best interests.
What do you think? Does that work for you? God is the owner, I am the coach, you all are the players, and together we are the team. I will teach, counsel, meet needs, strategize and do anything else that needs to be done- but the goal is to lead the team to win, for the glory of the owner - God. And when a young man accepts Christ- we celebrate victory! When an elderly woman joins the team- we share high-fives! When a family serves dinner to the homeless at the Rescue Mission- the team wins and the owner is glorified!
Will you join the team and play? In my next installment, I will write about how if you accept this owner-coach-team view, it will drastically affect your spirituality- for the better!

Huddle Up! On Three, “GO TEAM!” One . . . two . . . three . . .

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have to say that you did a great job of explaining your duties and your job as a coach. You are an awsome "coach"!!

Danel