Wednesday, December 12, 2012

My Day As A WatchD.O.G.

Today I spent the day at Olivia's school as a WatchD.O.G.  This program encourages dads to be involved in the education of their children by spending an entire day at school. Today was my day.  Olivia was so excited! Since last week She has been counting down the days.

I began my day in the gym as the students waited for their teachers to take them to class.  Olivia proudly stood next to me as they introduced her dad as the WatchDog for the day.  The computer teacher took our picture to be placed on the WatchDog wall of fame.  Then the work began.  The first Kindergarten recess was crazy. After I zipped up a few jackets, a student asked me to push her on the swing.  Soon the swing set was filled with kids all needing pushes.

After recess, it was time to help a few teachers.  I read a book with three third-graders and discussed its content to help them with comprehension.  Then it was lunchtime.  For two hours I opened yogurt containers, retrieved silverware, and joked around with students.  I purchased a lunch on Olivia's student account and sat with her and her class. Do you know how difficult it is to eat a mixed green salad with a spork? After lunch,  I helped with the afternoon Kindergarten recess.  More swing-pushing.  Before I could get inside to help another teacher, Olivia and the first graders came out for recess.  Guess what?  More swinging.  And some tag.  Finally, near end of the day, I helped a teacher by reading a test to a student and helping another student with a math worksheet.  It was nice to provide some needed individualized attention so that the teacher might tend to the entire class.

My time at Raymore Elementary served much more than to just provide an extra hand to teachers and staff. It also helped me to better understand  my daughter's days at school.  After watching teachers work so patiently with difficult students, I appreciate all the more just how great all of those teachers are.

I really like the WatchD.O.G. Program.  I could tell that the students are used to having dads in their school to help the teachers and to have fun.  All day I heard, "hey, WatchDog can you help me?"  Several times throughout the day I thought about my colleague and friend, Donnie Miller.  After several years in pastoral ministry he sensed that God was leading him in a new direction and took a job teaching in an elementary school in the urban core of Kansas City. It was a terrible experience.  You can read of his experiences in this  blog post.  Given Donnie's description of the environment of his school, I am guessing that they do not have an active WatchDog program.  But I can't help but to imagine that it would radically improve the school if the fathers of the students would invest one or two days per year in their children's education.

Dads, it is time for us to get involved in all aspects of our kids' lives.  If your child's school has a WatchD.O.G. program, sign up for a day.  No program? Talk to your principle or PTA President. I signed up for another day next February.  I am looking forward to it already.  Olivia is probably already counting down the days.

1 comment:

JOEL MATTERS said...

Good job Jason. It's really fun to interact with kids.
DaD