Monday, December 17, 2012

If We All Do Something....My Something

A couple of months ago I preached a series on issues of social justice and working for equality and justice to the most vulnerable around the world.  Our motto was, "I can't do everything, but I can do something.  If we all do something, we can do everything."  I challenged our members to find their "something" - a way they could give/serve/lead that would connect with their passions.  Throughout and during that time, I prayed and considered what was my something.  I thought I knew what it was, but I didn't know how to get involved.

I first learned about micro-financing while I was in seminary.  Basically, there are people all around the world who work really hard and have great ideas for how to make life better, but they have no capital to invest in their ideas because they need every dime they earn to buy food.  Moreover, they are unable to get loans to start their businesses because either the loan amounts are too low and banks don't want the hassle, or their economies are so bad that the banking system is non-existent.  That is where micro-financing comes in.  Various ministries and other non-profits help these budding entrepreneurs by providing small loans, business coaching and accountability, and other help as needed.

The raging capitalist that is me loves this- truly a hand-up to those who are very poor and are willing to work hard and help themselves.  This is no entitlement program that traps individuals in a cycle of dependency!

But how could I help?  We live on a very tight budget that doesn't leave room for much extra.  We faithfully give a full tithe to our church.  Plus, I wanted to really make a difference- maybe even fully fund a loan and not just give $25 to ease my conscience.  Then I read The Hole In Our Gospel and God spoke clearly and convincingly.  A couple of years ago I sold my old flying-V guitar for $200 (ironically, for the same amount I paid for it twenty years ago).  I kept that $200 safe- hoping that someday I could add to it and buy the guitar that I really want - a Fender American Standard Stratocaster.  But I have 3 other guitars and rarely play any of them.  God said, "Give it away - loan it to some entrepreneur somewhere in the world.  That is your something."  Initially I resisted- but God really worked on my heart. 

So, with that money and some other birthday money I had been saving to spend on something I don't really need, Erica and I jumped onto Kiva.org and looked for someone who could use a loan.  Why Kiva, when there are lots of organizations who offer micro-loans?  With Kiva, when the loan has been re-paid, I get to loan that money to someone else- it helps me to stay personally engaged- which I need.  It might be a little selfish, but I need to stay connected to this.

Dionesia
I now have two new friends in the Philippines. Dionesia has a food production business, making baked goods and selling them to support her family.  She requested a loan of $250 to buy sugar, mayonnaise and other ingredients to make the food that she sells.  Someone else funded $100, and I was able to complete the funding with the last $150.  I imagine that Dionesia is working hard today to support her family and to grow her small business- and I have the privilege to be a part of that.  In February she will make her first payment of $35.  I will pray that she will be ready and able to repay her loan.

Cecelia
Cecelia is a farmer in the Philippines who has been growing and harvesting corn for 5 years.  Her farming operation produces $125 every month.  She requested a loan of $250 to purchase fertilizer and to pay for weeding services.  She is planning for a better harvest and for the ability to expand her fields and capacity.  Again, someone else funded $100, so I funded the last $150.  I can log onto my account and watch her progress and look for updates! I will be praying for Cecelia, that God will bless her farm and her crops, and that she will thank him and worship him!

By the way - if you want to check it out for yourself- go to Kiva.org. Or, you can help me by clicking on http://www.kiva.org/invitedby/jason9666 Apparently another donor set up this referral system, and if you decide to get involved (you can start with as little as $25), then that donor will give me another $25 that I can loan out to someone!  (And no, this is not the reason for posting all of this!  And no, this is not some network-marketing scheme.  I promise you I won't be calling you, wanting to talk about a great "opportunity.")


In the long run, I imagine I will never miss the money I was saving.  I may never buy another guitar- but that is really okay with me- I probably wouldn't play it all that much anyways.  Given the choice, I would much rather help these two ladies- and the others I get to help in the future after they repay their loans.  It kind of makes me want to look around for some other junk to sell.  In fact, does anybody need a guitar?  I have one I would like to sell!

No comments: