Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Confrontation (1 Timothy 1:5)

I am four weeks into my sabbatical and I just made it past the first chapter of 1 Timothy. There is just so much there. This time I can't get past verse 5. I have worked on it a lot, so here are my thoughts. (I am hoping that blogging my thoughts will help me move on.) Paul left Timothy in Ephesus while he moved on to another region. Evidently, there were some Christians in Ephesus teaching false doctrines, clinging to old myths, and other law-related issues contrary to the gospel. Timothy's job was to teach the truth and to command those men out of their error. Now if you read my previous post, this isn't the same word used in verse 1 when Paul described his calling/command to ministry. But it is still strong. Paul isn't telling Timothy to mildly suggest to these men that they reflect on the possibility of a conversation regarding their potentially erroneous teachings. No. Basically he tells Timothy to order the men to cease and desist. It is a very strong word.

"Thanks, Paul. I'll get right on that. Easy for you to say, Paul. You aren't here to take the beating. They might listen to you, the former Pharisee and law-expert yourself, famed preacher, missionary and elder in the church. I'm just a young buck."

I hate confrontation. It makes me want to vomit just thinking about it. I tend to be a people-pleaser. I want everyone to be happy and I really don't want to make waves. What if they get mad at me and reject me? But sometimes you have to confront. A mentor once told me that if I am not willing to confront when confrontation is needed, I am putting my own desires ahead of what is best for the church. Ouch. So I confront. And then throw up.

What I think is most important for Timothy is Paul's insight into the need for this confrontation. Timothy is working with several wannabe teachers who have lots of words and knowledge, but they are wrong AND are not loving. Their arrogant heresy produces anti-love. So, in verse 5 Paul says, "The goal of this command (the confrontation) is love . . ." He is describing the desired outcome. If these guys take Timothy's command to heart, they will become more loving. Notice that the desired outcome is not just the teaching of truth for the sake of truth. While truth is essential, Paul really wants love. Evidently their teachings were producing controversy within the community of Christ-followers.

So here is my thought: when I confront someone, is my desire for them to be more loving? It is a focus on their future goodness, not their present error. It is a focus on their best interests, not mine. And if they are going to change and become more loving (the result), then the process of the confrontation must also be infused with love. In other words, in the act of confronting and commanding, I must confront and command in love. And if I do that and they reject me, I guess it really is their issue. In the end, it is not about me or for me. Love isn't.

No comments: