Sunday, April 20, 2014

My Fasting Experience - Back In the Land of the Eating

I woke up this morning ready to eat.  To be honest, last night was one of the toughest of this fast.  I shopped for juices, fruits, vegetables, and yogurt to help me ease back into normal eating. (Okay, I also bought a few other treats that I am looking forward to eating after my digestive system is up and running again after its vacation.  Have you seen the recipe for Bacon Caramel Salted Brownies?  I am so making them...in a couple of weeks.)  But last night was rough.  I was really tired and my stomach really hurt.  I was looking forward to watermelon and apple juice this morning.

Yes, the watermelon tasted great!  So sweet and luscious.  The apple juice was strong, but wonderful!  I showered, dressed, watched the kids find a few eggs and dive into their Easter baskets, and we opened the final resurrection egg.  Then I went upstairs to pack my bag for the day.  I grabbed my journal and Bible and stuffed them.

That is when it hit me.  For the last 21 days I have forgone food and drink in order to give more attention to God, his Word, and prayer.  But now what?  It seemed so anti-climactic.  Kind of like the day after a big birthday when life goes back to normal.  Honestly, I wanted to keep fasting.  Fasting has become my way of life for three weeks, and I am going to miss it.  I am especially going to miss what I have learned!

I know that fasting is not a long-term lifestyle.  Even Jesus resumed eating after forty days.  Now I need to come to terms with the reality that it is really not about fasting, but about the experiences gained and the lessons learned.  I have refocused my passion for God and for people who don't know Jesus.  I have refocused my top priorities, remembering again which things really aren't all that important.  I have developed again the habit of a daily quiet time with God that I don't want to lose!  Fortunately, I can continue in these things whether fasting or feasting.

My prayer, and how I ask you to pray for me, is that I would continue on this refocused, refined, re-defined path.

No comments: