Friday, August 19, 2011

Faith and Trust

Last week we put our oldest child on a big yellow bus and waved goodbye as she rode to her first day of Kindergarten. Our little girl gone for eight hours, under the care of strangers. Would she be okay? What if she lost her way in the maze of school hallways? I imagined her wandering the halls for hours, crying and feeling all alone. It was a bit difficult to bear.

Faith is not easy for me. Trust does not come naturally. And that makes sense, since faith and trust are the same. The popular concept of faith often shows a blindfolded man, standing in the dark, preparing to leap from a cliff into the darkened depths. We often talk about "blind faith." But that is not how I understand my faith.

Sending my first-born to school was an indeed an act of trust. Much of it was blind. I did not know where she was and what she was doing every minute. I couldn't be sure that she made it to her class or onto bus 21 at the end of the day. Blindness, indeed. But I was informed. We toured the school on Monday night and discovered the gymnasium, the cafeteria, and Olivia’s classroom. She found her name tag taped to the table. We met her teacher and reviewed her daily classroom schedule. We double-checked her bus number. We asked, and learned that if she does not make it to class, the school would notify us early in the morning. I know that the school follows strict policies regarding teacher qualifications, credentials, and background checks. Finally, I have heard from the experiences of others that the school has a good reputation for caring for our kids. While I cannot know the future, I do believe that the best indicator of future behavior is past performance. I feel like I have enough information to form a solid foundation for trust.

And for me, that is faith. Faith in schools and teachers. Faith in others. Faith in God. Faith is rarely a blind leap. But neither is it a crystal-clear path. I don't have all the answers. But I have done some research. I have information. I have informed faith.

At 4:30 that afternoon, the doors opened and Olivia climbed down the giant bus stairs with a giant smile on her face, ready to tell us about her day.

No comments: