Wednesday, March 16, 2011

My Life is the result of my values

So I have been thinking a lot about values recently. After Easter I am planning on a teaching series at New Vision that will draw heavily from this concept. I find myself constantly asking, "what do I really value?" Or I can ask, "what do I really believe in?" Obviously I don't really believe in physical exercise. I am afraid to make such a claim- for my elliptical machine might sprout legs, hunt me down, and expose my lies!

Organizations talk a lot about core values. We talk about aspired core values (the values we want to be present) and actual core values (the values we truly value- as evidenced by how we spend our time, money, and other resources). It is an important exercise, based in honesty, to determine what I truly value versus what I want to truly value. The same is true personally. Since we as humans are really good at lying to ourselves, we often tell ourselves that we value something, but our actions betray us, and our lifestyles point out what we truly value. In other words, I might think that I value family, but if I work 80 hours every week and play golf twice every weekend, I really don't value family.

So how do I know what my true values are? Well, I start by looking at how I use my time. Then my money. What do I talk about the most? An honest evaluation will reveal my true values.

But how about this. We are often told that our lives are a reflection of our values. I think we need to go deeper. My life is the RESULT of my values. This life I have built for myself I built from my values. The car I drive, the food in my fridge, the color of my fridge, the color of my hair, why I am typing this blog at 11:31 PM, everything is a result of my values.

"Wait a second," you say, "your hair color?" Yes. While I had no control over the DNA sequence that controls my natural hair color, I could choose to change it. I have always wanted to have blond hair. Why don't I change it? Because I value thriftiness over physical appearance and I won't pay to change my hair color. I also value sleeping-in over salon-chair-sitting, so I don't spend my time getting my hair colored. You see, my values influence what I do as well as what I don't do.

What do you think? Your life is more than a reflection of your values. Your life is the result of your values. So take a look at the details of your life- what do you truly, honestly value? Are you surprised?

No comments: