Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Lord, Teach Us To Number Our (Mon)days

I hate Mondays. Most people do. We despise the Monday morning alarm that propels us into another week of work. I, on the other hand, am at home on Mondays. Sunday is my biggest day of the week, with lots of stress, people, responsibilities, etc. And being the introvert that I am, I am drained and useless by bedtime on Sunday night. On Monday morning I really would like to have some free, quiet, relaxing time. But I don't get it. At 7:00 AM I hear the pitter-patter of little feet descending the stairs. And here goes another day. Get Easton out of bed. Feed 2 kids breakfast. Fit in a bath for the kids. Take a quick shower during Easton's morning nap. Try to wash, dry and fold 6 loads of laundry. Maybe do something fun with the kids so we don't go crazy. Make dinner. Bed time. Pay some bills and balance the checkbook. Then get ready for my work week. Ugh.

So yesterday morning I was brushing my teeth, feeling grumpy, and thinking about how when Olivia goes to school we will have to get up even earlier. Every day. Great. Less sleep is just what I need.

And then it hit me. She goes to kindergarten next August. And while it will be nice in many ways, our carefree, have fun, playing paper dolls, painting, watching cartoons in our pajamas until 10 AM days will be gone . . . forever. We will only have summer breaks and a few hours after school. And the free time in those hours will continue to diminish.

While the selfish part of me really wants Mondays all to myself, when I think about it, Mondays have allowed for some great memories- lots of trips to the park, Deanna Rose farm, the library, etc.

So I looked at my calendar today. I have 35 more Mondays until life with Olivia changes forever and she climbs into a big yellow bus. My New Year's resolution? 35 great, fun-filled memories with no complaints and no regrets.

"Lord, teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom." (Psalm 90:12)

No comments: