Sunday, November 7, 2010

My Tribute to Rick Warren

Fifteen years ago this fall I took my first ministry class as a college sophomore. I walked into "Evangelism & Church Growth" and the professor told us that he had recently attended a seminar at a growing church in California and wanted to share it with us. For eight weeks, every Tuesday and Thursday we listened to cassette tapes of the Purpose-Driven Church seminar taught by Rick Warren, filled in the blanks of the photocopied workbook, and read the hardback as the primary text of the class.

Rick, fifteen years ago you came into my life and radically changed the way I approach evangelism and church ministry.

I was hooked before the end of the first tape. I thought, "This makes sense and it is doable." Rick, when you said, "don't copy me," I listened even closer. When you presented the five purposes, I said, "that is very simple." Then when you talked about the need to keep all five purposes in balance and the dangers of imbalance, I said, "yeah, that's right." Then you convinced me that Sunday mornings are the best times to reach the unsaved. The five circles of commitment and the goal of consistent movement to deeper levels of commitment. It all made so much sense, was simple, and seemed easily transferable. You gave me an effective strategy to fulfill my heart's desire, namely to lead others to Christ and help them grow into lifelong disciples.

I talked about you so much that my friends got tired of hearing your name and told me to shut up. (Sorry about that) Then they wrapped aluminum foil around the dust jacket of my PDC book in order to give it the honor it deserved. (They may even have bowed down to it.) I just couldn't understand why they weren't as convinced!

While I was in seminary, I attended and served in a church with a pastor who lead with the purpose-driven principles. After graduation I was called to serve as pastor there and have developed our ministries through the purpose-driven strategy.

Rick, your passion for lost and broken people inspires me to keep reaching out. Your commitment to a clear and simple strategy pushes me to reduce complexity. Your use of acronyms and alliteration makes me laugh. Your humility and down-to-earthness impresses me. You are the real deal and I have talked to several people who affirm that.

Tomorrow morning I will attend the 11:15 service at Saddleback. I have looked forward to visiting for years, but it is a bit of a drive from Kansas City. This week I attended the National Outreach Convention in San Diego, so the visit is now feasible. I am so excited to have the chance to experience Saddleback. I will have by PDC book with me just in case I bump into you and maybe you can sign it for me? (Just think of what those old roommates will say then).

Rick, thank you for your ministry, not only to Saddleback Sam, but to a college kid in Kansas City, and to the world. Thank you for allowing God to use you to help grow his kingdom!

No comments: