Wednesday, September 23, 2009

I am seeing stars

Tonight at LIFE group we were looking at Isaiah 40:18-31. If you aren't in a LIFE group or haven't looked at this passage recently, Isaiah is preaching to the Israelites and is encouraging them to compare God to idols, kings, and anything else we tend to trust. In verse 26 Isaiah says, "Lift your eyes and look to the heavens: Who created all these? He who brings out the starry host one by one, and calls them each by name. . ." As I read that I imagined God, sitting on his throne, calling out the stars from their daytime slumber, and commanding them to take their place in the night sky. I can just hear God saying, "Orion- let's go! Grab your sword, wash your armpit and get out there!" "Twin dippers- to your places!"

But then this crazy thought hit me- that took my breath away for a moment. As Isaiah was preparing this message, he may have been sitting on a hill in the middle of the night visualizing these events. And he no doubt looked at the big dipper, Pleiades, and even Betelgeuse (the armpit), and imagined God calling them to their posts. Isaiah looked at the very same stars that I see 2,800 years later! I can barely imagine Mr. Isaiah, the temple and the idols fashioned by silversmiths. But I can walk outside right now, look up and see the very same stars that inspired Isaiah to write his words of rebuke and encouragement.


Wow- our creator God is awesome and awe-inspiring!

No comments: